Monday, May 21, 2012

Not only in Dubuque...

"A standing ovation is a form of applause where members of a seated audience stand up while applauding after extraordinary performances of particularly high acclaim." (Wikipedia)

"Some might say that the standing ovation has come to be devalued..."   (Ibid)

Since moving to Dubuque nearly 20 years ago, I have noticed the pandemic increase of  the standing ovation.  It has gotten to the point  that my own daughter is almost embarrassed to attend any kind of public performance with me, as  I do not immediately leap to my feet to honor what I may--or may not have--seen or heard on the stage.  Here it has definitely gotten to the point that the  "s.o." is  an expected  part of the evening's festivities, as audiences regularly stand for elementary band concerts, middle school musicals (with which  I have a basic educational problem) and countless other events.  As long as there is  not a major   collapse on stage, the s.o. appears.

Of course this suffices to dilute acknowledgement of the truly exceptional and is now a phenomena not limited to Dubuque--or the Midwest for that matter.  Read here for a  discussion of the matter in NY.

As a performer, do I appreciate applause?  Of  course.  As for the s.o.?  I'll take it  when it is   truly earned.  


No comments:

Post a Comment