Friday, October 11, 2013

MEETING THE CHALLENGE....

Kenneth Woods, in his latest blog post, challenged his readers to write about women on the podium.  AND, we need to go beyond the obvious--conductor of the Baltimore Symphony--(Marin Alsop for the uninitiated).  I would weed JoAnn Falletta from the list as well, for certainly she has established a world-class career for herself as well (Virginia Symphony--since 1991; Buffalo Philharmonic--since 1998; the Ulster Orchestra in the UK, AND she is part of the team that has brought orchestral music back to Hawaii).

No, Mr. Woods is challenging us to look beyond the "big names," although it is quite sad that I can name only two.  Meanwhile, I must write of two women whom I have had the pleasure of meeting personally:

Tania Miller, recently celebrated her tenth season with the Victoria (Canada) Symphony Orchestra.  I met Tania when we were both considerably younger: at a (then) ASOL Conducting Symposium held in Ann Arbor.  Although she was one of the younger conductor's present, one could easily see that she was destined for greater things.  She matriculated from the University of Michigan (therefore she has to be great!), but that's not what drew me to this conductor.  Like many (and it's not just women; I could probably place Carl St. Clair in the list), she has stunningly expressive hands and, I'll be honest, I'm jealous.  Of course, great hands do not necessarily a great conductor make; I have seen my share of conductors who possessed such physical gifts but didn't have the brainpower to match.

I had to travel all the way to the Czech Republic to meet Roberta Carpenter, currently the conductor of Wisconsin's Oconomowoc Symphony.  She lives less than three hours from me and yet, I have not seen her in nearly 15 years--inexcusable!  Roberta is a very reflective conductor, a thoughtful conductor, a kind soul on the podium.  She, like Tania, brings distinction to our profession.  I can offer fewer exclamations of praise.

I hope that this is only my first foray into Maestro Woods's challenge.  In fact, I already have ideas for continuing "chapters."  But for now, it's back to supper and a little score study.

No comments:

Post a Comment