Sunday, August 3, 2014

The "good" file


Those of us in the music biz (at least me) have a tendency to place too much focus on those tiny negatives in live performance, rather than the effect of the whole.  It's easy to forget the impact we have on audiences and players alike.  That's why I try to keep a "good file" of appreciative notes and the like, so that I can refer to them in times of need.  It's getting a lot harder to do since the dawn of electronic mail and social media.  Please forgive me if I indulge myself with some recent missives.

Dr. Maestro Hughes,

You've earned it, let me address you as such.
(obviously from one who knows my feelings on "titles")

Thank you for a wonderful spring/summer season. You have breathed new life into the Park Band. I have been lucky enough to have worked with many gifted conductors - Mr. Christiansen'isms echo in my brain. Specifically, close is only acceptable in horse shoes and hand Grenadines and a true musician always knows the correct dynamic.  Thank you for pointing out the "church soprano" tendency I had developed.

* * * * * * * * * *

Commenting on the close of the TSWS season:  Loved playing with all of you this summer.

* * * * * * * * * *

From a TSWS "parent":  Thanks Brian! She really enjoyed it last year, felt it stretched her as a musician and student, and had a fantastic time. We are excited that she is a part of it too.

* * * * * * * * * *

I am sure that you know that we all enjoy giving you our best efforts, and the band is several hundred percent better for it.

* * * * * * * * * *

Thanks again for a great season and for the wonderful experience of performing at IBA. Congratulations on receiving your doctorate as well!

* * * * * * * * * *

Of course, this is a very small sampling.  I am very blessed to work with such wonderful and committed musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment