Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Words for the wise, from the wiser

I just completed reading Je suis chef d'orchestre (I am a Conductor) by Charles Munch, in its translation by Leonard Burkat (Oxford, 1955).  A brief text (the translator's introduction is 22 pp compared to the author's 91) and a seemingly quick read, I found myself re-reading several sections so that I might sufficiently soak in exactly what the maestro said and how it might be applied in my own life and career.  There are countless salient points made--too many to mention--but particularly poignant is his final paragraph:

"In the end it is the public who writes our history, who names the masterpieces and the great interpreters--and it is hard to please.  There is only one valid, certain effective way to keep its favor, to practice our art with frankness and joy and to love music more than anything else in the world."

That pretty much says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment