Tuesday, July 19, 2011

MORE GOOD NEWS (FINALLY) FROM DETROIT

(Originally posted April 12, 2011)

AT LONG LAST....

The Symphony has finally returned to Orchestra Hall.  I can remember this wonderful ensemble (the first "great" orchestra I ever heard, although I did catch both Cleveland and Philadelphia in one month's time when I was only 19.  Those were the days!  It was joyous to hear that this first performance in over six months was played to a standing room only audience and that there was such joy in the hall.  Reports indicate that the audience offered a lengthy standing ovation before one note was even played.

Reviewer Lawrence B. Johnson offered a cogent commentary in the Detroit News.

And yet, there are still other glaring statements appearing in the local media (all from the comments section of the Detroit Free Press.

"As long as they don't put a tax on our property tax bills to support their outrageous wages.......WHO CARES!"  (Citizen Dick)

"Greedy union freeloaders. In the end they will be responsible for the collapse of the DSO.  The only chance they had for survival was to get rid of the union once and for all."  (Jarstarman, with shades of the current crisis in Wisconsin)

"How come every other band in the country has to show up at bars and small theaters to showcase their talent. if nobody likes them they disband. they aren't subsidized. I guess if you wear a tux or a slinky black dress and can play music produced by Bach your 'entitled' to rich contracts no matter what the demand at the door is."  (jDude22)

At least there are a couple of bright lights (two comments from Merchantillist):

"Having them broadcast is wonderful. This outreach will add to donations and to attendance. I feared that too much of the outreach would detract from practice and performance- the central mission. While professional athletes do some outreach, the teams do not loose track of the central mission. One does not waste first reach talent in say teaching - except for very advanced students."

"Hm a city manager in Troy get total compensation of $250,000. Some football players make million a year. A high school teacher in Troy with a masters and 20 years of service makes 100k. And $100,000 for exceptional musicians is deemed by many commenters outrageous?"

And there are many more positive statements coming from the long-silent music director Leonard Slatkin (quoted from an email from last weekend):

• Reason for silence: "It was uncharacteristic, but I'm very satisfied with my lack of a role. There's no question that I had to do what I did to retain credibility with both sides."

• Coming together: "I'm certainly pleased that after all this time we're finally getting back onstage. We need to heal the rifts. It's going to be a long road; there's no question about it. The relationship between the orchestra and board has to coalesce."

• Moving forward: "My job is really just beginning. I can sit down and formulate the new directions where we might be going."

• Lessons learned: "One of the lessons learned during the strike was that reaching out to the communities is vital. I advocated this when I arrived three years ago and nothing pleases me more than to see the orchestra take the initiative in this area. Whatever shape a 'new DSO' takes, there is no question that we will be a strong presence in many areas outside of Orchestra Hall.

"We will never abandon our home base, but in order to attract people to the downtown venue, we must go to them first. There will be evidence of this during the next eight weeks and this will grow as next season moves forward."

• Perspective: "I don't look at this as a three-year contract. I look at it as the beginning of a long-range plan and a new beginning."

• Recruiting talent: "I think our pool of musicians and being able to attract them will be the same, but I do think we'll have to do more to recruit. We have to reassure musicians from across the country, and the world, that Detroit remains a vital place to make music. We have to actively ask people in the orchestra to be involved, and instead of waiting for people to call us to come to auditions, we can call them and let them know that things are stabilizing. If we do more of that, we'll attract quite a high caliber of musicians."

• On the Web: "Another area that will see a fundamental change is that of media. There will be more flexibility in how we disseminate our performances. Several other orchestras have been doing this, but it will be new for Detroit. It will be particularly welcome as far as Internet streaming goes."

• Staying put: "People asked me all the time if I would leave, but I never considered bolting. I was going to stay by the orchestra. I see this as a great opportunity to do something for our community that makes sense."

After no much negative news emanating from my home state, it is nice to hear something otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment