Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vignettes on creativity....musing from bed on a lazy Wednesday

Originally published April 27, 2011

I love the Onion, that hilarious take on the news.  I think (no I know...) that I discovered it in the coffee houses in Madison, back in the days when I'd visit the city just to buy my fresh-roasted beans.  Sometimes the littlest of stories would make me giddy (I know that's difficult for some to imagine, but it's true).  Of course now that the Onion has gone online and I've heard word of a television version--maybe it's started already--I don't have to venture outside my bedroom (like now) to read it.

A recent story caught my fancy:  about how the creative artists of the country are warning us to brace ourselves for a lousy 2011 (as if things could not get any worse...)

On a more serious note, Ira Glass (of NPR's This American Life--a fantastic show) discusses the creative process and even includes stabs at his own earlier work.  A really nice way to spend a little over five minutes.

In my own little corner of the creative world, this Sunday (May 1) marks the culmination of the 25th anniversary season of the Quad-City Wind Ensemble.  The concert features guest conductor (and friend) Andy Mast, a world premiere, a fantastic young soloist from East Moline and, oh yeah, me.  Should be a good show; if anyone comes and doesn't find something they like I'll refund the price of admission.

"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail. "  Edwin Land

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."  Sylvia Plath

"Show that you care.  Show that your work matters.  Show that your art has meaning to others."  Diana Rivera

No comments:

Post a Comment